Furnishing a kitchen takes a lot of work. Unlike other rooms in the house, there is more to furnishing a kitchen than picking the cupboards and large pieces of furniture. You also have to select small furnishings like racks. Racks are complimentary storage structures in the kitchen. They can be used to store foods, utensils, and dishes. Kitchen racks can also be used for drying dishes. These are called drying racks for dishes and utensils. You can purchase these structures from stores like the Pusdon store. Note that these racks come in varying sizes. Therefore, this write-up discusses a guide for choosing the right drying rack size.
How to pick the right size for your dish drying rack
When selecting a drying rack for your dishes and utensils, you must always consider its size. This is important whether you are choosing a countertop or over-sink dish rack. Below are some tips for getting the right size;
1. Start by understanding the available sizes
The first thing you must do is understand the size options on the market. For instance, there are three standard sizes for dish drying racks. The first is the compact size category which entails small racks designed for small kitchens and countertop spaces. The second category is the classic rack size, and these racks are typically average-sized and ideal for most kitchens. The third category is the high-capacity drying rack. They are generally massive and often come with extra attachments.
Understanding the information above will help you make an informed decision. However, you must never forget that the sizes may differ depending on the brand. This means that different brands use varying standard size charts. Therefore, it would help to ask for a size chart depending on the brand from which you are getting the product.
2. Measure your sink beforehand
This tip is paramount if you are purchasing an over-sink dish drying rack. The rack needs to fit perfectly over your sink. Therefore, the first thing you must do is measure your sink. Below is a guide for measuring your sink;
- Start by measuring the width of your sink bowl because the rack has to extend from one end to the next. You can add a couple of inches to the size of your sink for the size of the rack.
- The next step is measuring the distance from the wall to where your sink bowl starts and the length of the bowl also. Remember that the rack should not cover the sink. You must still be able to use the sink bowl with the rack in place.
- The length of the tap or faucet is also something worth measuring. The rack should have enough space underneath it to accommodate the full size of the faucet. You will need these dimensions when choosing an ideal over-sink drying rack.
3. Consider the design
The drying rack design will also help you determine the correct size. For instance, if the rack features different compartments, you may need a large one because you cannot mix up its applications.
4. Consider the functions of the rack
Drying racks are designed for holding dishes and utensils as they dry. However, if you do not have ample storage space in your kitchen, you may also use them for storage. In this case, you will need a large rack that can hold a substantial amount of dishes. On the other hand, if you only need the rack for drying, an average-sized or small rack would be sufficient.
The above tips will especially come in handy if you choose an over-sink drying rack for dishes. However, this does not mean that you cannot apply them for selecting countertop racks. Remember that getting the right size is paramount.